Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a composite material

Status
Not open for further replies.

calaway

Materials
Jun 26, 2009
I am looking for a composite material that can meet the following requirements:

1. It is a strong material (for example it will change its shape only when you press it hard).
2. It has no harm to the body of human beings.
3. It can change its shape relatively quick after applying outside force (say pressing)
4. It will restore its original shape relatively slow after removing the outside force, say a few seconds, or a few tens of seconds. (must be slower than ordinary sponge and rubber back to their original shape).
5. Air can go though it (like a gauze), while the dust can be blocked.

Could anybody please provide some advice?
Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The closest material I can think of is Sorbothane.

It deforms and recovers slowly to original shape.

Also try Styroflex (a type of SBS).

Chris DeArmitt

"Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthwhile end."
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Thank you very much for your help, Chris.

I have visited the links you provided. It seems that Sorbothane is quite close to what I am looking for. However, I guess it won't meet requirement 5, right? Anyway I think requirement 5 is optional. I also want to know how fast Sorbothane will recover to its original shape after removing the force. Is there any place that I can find how long it will recover to its 100%, and/or 50%, 90% of its original size/shape?

As for Styroflex, I got "domain is for sale" error after I visit the link. Could you please provide me another link?

Thank you very much!

I would like to remove the requirement 5, since it is actually optional.

Strangely the Styroflex domain only works some of the time. You can find information on it here:

It extends to 400% of its length and recovers.

Looks like the Sorbothane will stretch over 35% and still recover.

If you want the material to let air through then you can make holes in it.

Chris DeArmitt

"Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthwhile end."

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but the obvious material is the memory foam they use in mattresses. It is readily available, safe, just the right slow response and lets through air due to it's foam structure. Bingo.

Chris DeArmitt

Isn't tempur pedic a closed cell foam?

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back