Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for a good book on seal design

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandyb

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2011
US
We are an injection molding company looking for a good book on how to design chevron and cup seals for hydraulics and pneumatics. Any recommendation would be appreciated. I am having a hard time finding any valid information.

Thank you,
BrandyB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All I can suggest is the parker O-ring handbook, or Eriks technical manual. Unfortunately these both focus on O-rings more than other types of seals.

Hi!

There are some, and very expensives all.

Depending on your focus, you can get one or another. I own about 5 different ones (and read another 2). Mostly very similar on contents, you've got more and less technical ones, and more focused on oil seals, and mechanical seals rather than hydraulic and pneumatic seal... So, with time, I'm trying to write my own!!

Under our experience, on manufacturing seals, we appply 50% experience and 50% technical.

Regarding your ideas, basically you need to be more concentrated on plastics, and more specifically, on material's physic.
Today you can find good PUR compound manufacturers, but need to understand the physics to get a good seal.

If you like to discuss further, please let me know!

I have not seen any books on hydraulic seal design as many designs are patented. Chevron and cup seal design is probably best done with nonlinear FEA. Depending on the application and working pressure chevron and cup designs may be the least desirable.

To be a fluid tight seal the areas of contact between the seal and the surface to seal become a dry running bearing so the P/V of the two materials becomes important design factor. I have found very little good P/V data on most common seal materials. The shape of the seal can have a multiplication effect on the contact pressure.

Ed Danzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back