Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a good electrical reverse engineering company

Status
Not open for further replies.

BodyBagger

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
Hello all,
I have a small electrical product that receives a signal and then processes it further (fuel injector pulse width). I need to find a place that can reverse engineer this unit so that I can design a better unit.

Any recommendations for a company that can help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ron,
I have a small 2x3 pcb board (surface mount 4 layer style)with microcontrolers from Cypress Semiconductor and a digital signal processor from Freescale Semiconductor. I need to have someone extract the code, & explain in detail how it works. I friend of mine has a Phd in controls and he would like to do the new coding to improve the unit while adding some scalability to it. Hope this helps and please let me know.
Thanks

Generally what you are asking is to extract the machine code and disassemble it to assembly language or higher. To capture the code, you normally use development tools for the specific target processor. This consists of in-circuit emulators, logic analysers, assembler/ de-bugger, etc. If the processor is running on code stored in internal programmable memory, capturing the code may be difficult.

A better solution would be to bench operate and exercise the module to understand the functions it performs, specify the 'improvements' you would like, and design the replacement module from scratch.

If this is an automotive module, there usually is a lot of written description of it's operation in the trade journals. This would be a start.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back