Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

looking for a job, while you have one-and your emploer doesn't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngForm78

Mechanical
May 6, 2005
US
I have a situation where I am looking for a job while I have a job and i have not told my employer. I have MS and I really like my job, although my pay is low, but I only have a little over year experience(besides co-ops). I would stay except circumstances requrie that I relocate eventually. I feel bad for quiting after having worked just long enough for them to invest the time and money to train me into the position. I am also wondering about how other companies will percieve my short career with a company. Again, I do like my job, and feel bad about leaving - maybe I won't?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One monkey don't stop the show. You wouldn't be the first one to quit. If the company has a high employee turnover, it is time for them to do a serious self assessment.
On the other hand don't burn any bridge behind you. If you leave, do it professional, no bad mouthing etc.. I can come back to hunt you.

A sense of loss is normal for any change, even if it is for the better. Sounds like you already believe elsewhere is the right place to be. Might as well start making tracks. Make room for someone who wants your current spot.

As far as leaving after one year, you are far from the first to do this. It happens. The real danger to your resume is after you do it for the second or third time (except for short-term consultant work).

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

If it is just the money then you can make it known to your employer that you think you are being underpaid. Alternatively you can wait for a job offer and then let your employer know you have been offered more. It could get ugly but some employers don't mind and will offer you more. I personnely would tell employees that I value "If you receive a higher salaried job offer let me at lest try and counter offer to keep you."

QCE - need to be careful to make sure that people don't see this as the only way to get a pay rise. Otherwise, they'll always be looking for another job.

I have a situation where I am looking for a job while I have a job and i have not told my employer.
That is the usual situation. Very, very few people let their current employer know that they are seeking employment elsewhere.

You need not feel bad about quitting. When/if your condition deteriorates to the point where you can no longer do your job effectively, most companies will get rid of you.

The fact that you have MS means you will have to look out for number 1 even more than most people do. You will have to get what you can while the getting is good.

As QCE stated, you have 2 choices:-
1) Politely ask your current employer for a raise stating the reasons why you think you deserve it. If they agree, great, you can stay with them until it is time for re-location, and in the meantime gain more experience. If they don't agree, then proceed with your job search without feelings of guilt.
2) Wait until you get a job offer, then approach your current employer. If they value your work, they will make a counter offer. If they don't, then the decision will have been made for you & you can tender your resignation, again without feelings of guilt.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

When you took the job was it made clear to you that the position would require relocation sometime in the future? or is the relocation something new due to business? If you took the job knowing the position would require relocation then that could leave a blemish on your record but I'm not sure if that's something that can be released when a new employer checks references. But I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving. But like TheTick stated it could look questionable in it happens twice or three times.

I told my boss that I was looking for work elsewhere because I wanted more structural work. Plus I showed him a written offer I'd received from another company.

Result: I got more structural work and they let the secretaries do more secretarial work.

Heckler: The way I read it, it sounded like EngForm is the one that will be relocating for his/her own reasons, not that the job will eventually force him to relocate.

EngForm: What is your primary reason for looking for another job? Your post mentions that you like your job, but that the pay is low, so I assume you're job-searching for salary reasons. If that's the case, I recommend starting with companies that regularly hire engineers with MS and PhD degrees. If you apply for positions with a BS minimum requirement, you are more likely to be underpaid if you get the job.

When you interview with companies, many interviewers will ask you why you went to grad school. Make sure you have a good answer to that question. Then, when you get a chance to ask questions at the end of the interview, ask the company why they desire a candidate with at least an MS. Make sure they have a good answer to that question. To get the market value for your advanced degree, you must work for a company that values advanced degrees. Not all companies do, and many companies honestly have no need for MS and PhD engineers (those are companies you want to avoid if you want to get paid appropriately).

Having been on the "laid-off" side of the fence twice and had the company go out of business once, I can say that your employment with the company is a business decision - both for you and your employer. If either party no longer finds the business relationship worthy, then it is over with no bad feelings. If there is an issue with your personal performance or the overall business conduct (Enron type of stuff) - then the rest of this doesn't apply.

My advice is to look at your position in the company and in the work force as a business relationship. If you are underpaid for your skill level, location and job description (salary.com and several other free web pages), then you are justified in looking to improve your situation. When it comes to talking to perspective employers (or current employer), make sure that you know what you are worth and why - if they are good employers - one indication is that the compensation package will be within industry norms. If you are looking for compensation outside the industry norms, then you won't be happy regardless of where you work.

Also understand that larger companies tend to have competitive compensation packages, but smaller companies tend to be on the low side of the compensation scale.

The other part of the formula is the position and job description - it doesn't matter how good the compensation package is if you don't like the job, employer, position or conflicts with some aspect of what you consider important to you. Recommend getting this right first before you look at the compensation side of working.

This is not the norm. I've worked for a specialized small company that paid above average.

Also understand that larger companies tend to have competitive compensation packages, but smaller companies tend to be on the low side of the compensation scale.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

Well if you feel bad about quitting, then don't! Remember: YOU or your private life are not important, your company is what matters.

;-)

Come on EngForm, do you think they would feel bad if they were to sack you??

I made the same move 2 years ago and never regretted one single second.

I took 3 jobs within my first year out of school because the first two didn't want to pay what engineers are worth.

The first one knew it, and told me to take the job while I kept looking for another one. We both benifited. I got experience while they got cheap labor.

The second place was just jerks about everything, especially not working everyweekend or not working till midnight every night. This place had very high turnover rates, and threatened lawsuits against anyone that ever left.

I have been with the third place for ten years now.

They will find someone to replace you at probably at higher pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back