Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a Low Temperature alloy steel tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickA

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2003
US
I am looking for a seamless steel tubing specification to replace ASTM A106 gr. C in a very low temperature application for a hydraulic cylinder.

The minimum yield must be similar to A106C and it needs to meet the charpy v-notch test requirements per ASTM A370, 31 ft-lbs average at -50C.

The OD is in the range of 3-4" and the finished ID is 2.0-2.5". (Several applications with various ID/ODs) Hopefully I can find something that is not too exotic or hard to find in North America.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We used ASTM A333 Grade 3 or A312 SS seamless tubes in cryogenic service. I don't have the latest code books and understand that there have been a few changes so I would check each out.

Agreed. I would also consider ASME SA 333 Grade 9 seamless pipe material. The minimum yield strength is 46 ksi. Minimum Charpy impact test is -75 deg C, so it might get 31 ft-lbs at -50 deg C.

A-333 Gr 6, impact tested at -50 C, has been specified and readily purchased on a number of large gas processing projects that I have been involved.

Thanks for the input, I have considered A333 but the stated minimum in ASTM is 13 ft-lbs so I am not sure I can get a manufacturer to promise that it'll meet the 31 ft-lbs that I need.

Does anyone know what kind of charpy values I could expect from A-192. I know the yield is lower but I may have to adjust the wall thickness if I can't get a 40KSI material to pass charpys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back