Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdrras

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2006
US
I am currently designing an exhaust manifold/duct to be used to capture a reformate and I am running into problems locating a suitable material for fabrication.

I need a material that meets the following criteria:

1. Lightweight - I need a material that is considered lightweight because the housing chamber that the manifold/duct will be over is fabricated out of Hastelloy X (which is heavy as it is). I need something that will offset (per se) the weight so that it won't become even MORE heavier than what it already is.

2. Withstand temperatures up to 750 degrees C. The exhaust reformate will be around this temperature. The material must not creep or present any other type of deformation due to that temperature.

3. Cost effective - pretty self explanatory. I'm not looking for Pt with the gold trim sparkled with diamonds.

What I am looking for is a sheet of such material possibly in the 0.100" or 12 gauge range as far as thickness goes.

I have looked at Stainless Steel 316H as well as Stainless Steel 321H (due to the high Carbon composition), but both are not very common materials here in the United States. No place I have contacted has it in stock unless it is in tubing. The only places that it seems that it is carried is overseas.

I am currently looking at various Titaniums, although I may be concerned a little with the price. Are there any Alloy Steels that are fairly common (in stock) that may be suitable? As I am a Mechanical Engineer rather than a Materials/Met Eng, my knowledge of metals is limited to only a few.

If anybody knows of a material and/or know where I may find such material, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why so heavy? Is you "X" part as light as you can make it?
You could do 1400F with 310.
Depending on loads and life you may be able to do better going with an alloy like "X" and making it much thinner.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Still trying to help you stop corrosion.
formerly Trent Tube, now Plymouth Tube
eblessman@plymouth.com
or edstainless@earthlink.net

The Hastelloy X housing chamber has already been fabricated. It's rough dimensions are about 14.5" x 14.5" x 0.25". As you can see, it weighs a pretty penny. Inside this housing will hold a steam reformer which is also fabricated out of Hastelloy X. The reformer itself..will be pushing to about 1200 C internally with an exhaust of about 750 C. These materials were chosen due to our critical temperatures needed for reforming to take place in our system. The X also will help minimize thermal losses because the exhaust temperature is being used to preheat several heat exchangers later on in our process.

I could make the exhaust out of Hastelloy X (or Inconel), but I'm trying to see what is out there that holds well up to 750 or higher that isn't as expensive as the X.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the input unlesyd.

I was in the process of looking at Ferguson Metals. So far, they are the only ones I've really had much luck with. The problems I've been coming in contact with is I'd find a material that would either meet all but one of the criteria OR I'd find something but nobody would carry it in a 12 gauge sheet (or roughly that size). The 321 seems to be a good choice. I'll have to look at it more in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back