Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for a publication. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
I'm looking at the product data bulletin for 17-7PH steel from AK steel located here:

I'm looking for information about welding and required post weld heat treatment and in the weldability section it ends with this line:

More information can be obtained in the
following way:
“Welding Stainless Steels,” FDB #SF-71.

I'm not finding this online or even what publication this is. Could someone point me to a source? Also, recommended post weld heat treatment for .050" thick sheet that has a crack that needs to be welded?

Thanks,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Re: Also, recommended post weld heat treatment for .050" thick sheet that has a crack that needs to be welded?

First, what is the heat treatment condition of the 17-7PH material??

You will need to most likely perform a reheat treatment after welding using 17-7PH wire with the GTAW process.

Follow the AK Steel recommendation for heat treatment and age hardening. After welding heat to 1400 deg F to get to Condition T - austenite. Age harden at 1050 deg F to establish the T1050 in the weld region and sheet material.

You can look at trying to subject the weld region to the 1050 deg F aging treatment after welding but I think this will reduce the strength properties of the bulk sheet material.

Thank you. I indicated to heat treat to condition TH1050. I saw a paper about 17-4PH that indicated good strength going straight to the ageing treatment for H1150 after welding, but I wasn't sure if a similar process would have equivalent results for this material.

Thanks,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

I can send you the 17-7 handbook that covers everything.
If it is TH1050 and the properties matter than you would want to anneal it, weld, maybe re-anneal, austenite condition, and then age.
This alloy is austenitic when annealed and it welds very well.
Let me know how to send the file to you.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

If you could email it to kwilkerson_at_goverticalaero_dot_com I would appreciate it.

Thanks all!

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back