Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for Alternatives to Acad for Dynamic Block creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdunfee5

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2013
US
Can anyone recommend a low-cost CAD program that can create AutoCAD compatible dynamic blocks? Alternatively, perhaps an add-on to one of the programs. I have looked at the following;
[ul]
[li]BricsCAD (does not support dynamic block creation, as of the new v14).[/li]
[li]DraftSight (the word "dynamic block" does not come up on search of web site, but I can't get access to an online manual to know for sure).[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks for the advice,
Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Joe

I have been looking for a parametric model program for a while now and the best is Revit. TurboCAD say parametric in their literature as do Solidworks. All very expensive (My Revit and AutoCad cost me close to £5000 and £900 per annum subscription).

Check out LibreCAD for open source. May work but can be edited and programmed to do what is wanted.

Regards

Dan

I recently just checked out GstarCAD version 8. I was trying to avoid it, because I am concerned about putting my CAD data in a drawing program controlled by the Chinese government for fear of any backdoor for corporate spying. But, I was recently told that a large portion of AutoCAD is programmed in China, and the US is not exactly been a great example of respecting privacy rights lately. So, it may not really matter what program I choose.

The Dynamic Block creation does work in GstarCAD. I am not experienced enough with Dynamic Blocks to say I thoroughally tested every aspect, but in general, I can say it does supports this feature.

I have also been attempting to also see if it supports geometric constraints for regular geometry in a drawing. It seems to have some aspects of this in the user manual, but I cannot find how to get the proper toolbar to show up. The items I can read about constraints in the user manual are not very complete. I.e. it might describe a feature, but not say how to initiate it. Also, when I use certain search terms in the manual, most of the subject titles are shown in Chinese, even if the body of the subject is in good English. But, it makes the search feature useless sometimes.

Since the standard license is only $426, and they offer a competing cad upgrade for $314, it may be worth it only for the Dynamic Block creation and editing feature.

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back