Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for an unusual pipe. 8" ID with 12" flange and 10.5" BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkbiteattack

Mechanical
May 6, 2013
US
This ductile iron pipe is connected with others vertically in water. Doesn't look like anything standard. Most 8" pipes have an 11.75" diameter bolt center and a 13.50" flange. Everyone at work is stumped! [ponder]

Pipe_zps26d346a4.jpg

actualpipe2_zps8c555572.jpg

actualpipe_zps6136af75.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen small flanges like that come from China. I forget which Standard they ultimately confessed to making it to, maybe AWWA or some European water piping spec. It wasn't ANSI. I've also seen some with 6 bolt holes instead of 8. I don't remember if they were 6" or 8", but they were small diameter, thin, and had two too few bolt holes. I found the relevant spec and the flanges met it. They had been ordered as "Class __" without specifying "ANSI", so the mistake was on the part of the orderer.

Seeing your moniker and then reading at least a snippet of the application, "connected with others vertically in water", I am just curious if these are sea water risers of some sort (I wouldn't necessarily assume there has been any "mistake" here). [I believe it is possible a special type of ductile iron called "Ni-Resist" has been used in some applications resembling that, made to special Customer specifications, flange details etc. -- if you now need more, not sure where you would now get same].

You've got yourself a really odd flange alright. I looked quite hard and the smallest I could find was a PN 2.5 flange with diam 320mm, bcd 280mm. Even the really old standards seem to be bigger than this. Can you double check the dimensions.

Your 13.5" is a class 125 flange.

I'm curious about the large indent in the flange. What was that for.

Any info on how old it is, any stamps or marks.

You can get flange adaptors to allow connections to standard flanges which might be your only way out.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Stumped why?, there is absolutely no need for any pipe or flange to be to any particular standard, especially if custom built. Standard dimensioning is developed for compatibility nothing else.

A bit more back ground information would be interesting for no other reason other than knowing what the application is and possibly why the pipe/ flanges are thus.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Don't really know the application of it. I just heard it would be submerged in water and I think there was going to be some water level monitoring system at the bottom. I was told not to worry about the notch in the side. Basically someone from the field brought it into the office and asked everyone to help him track it down. We are a chicagoland company that does surface mining for sand and aggregates. No markings, no documentation of it ever being installed, and its been measured by at least 2 people. I asked about getting an flange adapter but he said that wouldn't work. (Why, I dont know) The last resort was to have custom pipes made, I think we need about 30 feet of them.

I will try and find out more info on monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back