Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for ASTM Cleanliness Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keveo

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2006
US
Im looking for an ASTM Cleanliness Spec...I think its ASTM 303 but all I can find is ASTM F303 which i believe is for fluid cleanliness. Does anyone have experience with the ASTM cleanliness spec? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

116 is a preservation specification, but it does discus a series of specific procedures for cleaning, but The verification of the cleanliness is not specified therein.

However, ultimately, the requirements are really up to YOU and your customer to decide.

ASTM does have the following:

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks for your input.....the info i have calls this particular test a Milli Pore Test and references ASTM 303. Does anybody have any experience with the test mentioned above?

Would have save a substantial amount of time AND effort if you had included that tidbit from the get-go.

"Millipore Test
The patch test, also known as the Millipore test, consists of spraying a representative number of parts with filtered hexane, isopropyl alcohol, or trichlorethylene at a pressure of 60 to 80 psi through a filter jet nozzle with a 1.2-micron membrane filter. The spray is collected and vacuum filtered onto a clean filter membrane, and the membrane is inspected for contaminants (placed under a microscope to measure — in microns — and count the number of dirt particles remaining). Weighing the membrane pad determines the total contaminant (in milligrams) that has been left behind"

"The new test will replace the traditional Millipore test (IP423/ ASTM D5452) which is due to be phased out by next year The latest Defstan revision which was has just been published states: "The implementation date for particle counting is 30 June 2009, but where possible, to help the data collection process, the results should be reported before that date "

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks IRstuff and I apologize for not posting it earlier. Is the ASTM 303 the correct spec for calling this out (sand cast/machine parts)..the ASTM D5452 refers to cleanliness of aviation fuels. Or is the just a generalize generic spec?

Ok....i should have read it completely instead I was skimming for Milli-pore test to be mentioned. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back