Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for caller id chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeRattz

Computer
Sep 8, 2003
US
I am looking for a current chip to do caller id. I have tried to find some but have found them to be obsolete or unavailable. I am not an electrical enginner, so plase keep phrasing very layman-like.

Where can I get the chip, and how much should I expect it to cost?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't want a modem chip that does caller id unless that is the only way I can get a chip that does caller id. My needs have nothing to do with a modem. Suppose you wanted to make your own caller id display unit, what chip would you get for the caller id?

Thanks.

The caller ID information is sent as a bust of data between the first and second ring. Is is a FSK MODEM signal and therefor must be decoded by a modem circuit. This can be done with an elaborate analog/digital design or with a modem chip and simply not use its other features. There are several formats used for the caller ID data as well so some processing will needed to parse the message. The data rate is 1200 bits per second and includes such things as headers and check sums. The two frequencies used to represent the binary states are 1200 Hz for the Mark (logic 1) and 2200 Hz for the Space (logic 0). The signal level is -13.5 dBm measured at the central office across a 900 ohm test termination.
There may well have been chips made that specifically incorporate this modem function and a microcontroller the parse the data as well as LCD display drivers making a complete system on a chip. Decoding an output from such a chip, if you can get it, may be very difficult. It is easier to use a modem chip and a serial port from a microcontroller that also controls your display or other interfaces.

You are talking a good bit above my head. Lets say I want to use caller id to log all incoming calls to a computer file. I want the caller id device to be independent of the computer. I may transmit the data from the independent caller id device to a computer via a network cable using tcp/ip. Disregarding networking protocols and all that stuff, what chip should I use to handle the caller id?

I have done a web search. I cannot seem to find a chip that is not obsolete. I saw several references to a Motorola chip that is obsolete. I saw a chip listed for Mitel I believe it was but couldn't find it on their site. A lot of the articles I have seen on the web are dated around 1990-1995. Anyone know a good current day chip?

Thanks.

Why do you care whether it's obsolete; by the looks of things, you're only wanting maybe 2-3 parts at best?

US Bid shows over nearly 1/2 million MC145447's available for sale, there was even a single lot of 4 pieces.

TTFN

Because while I only want one or two now for a prototype, once I get my 'device' working, I may want to buy hundreds of thousands of units.

Thanks for the US Bid tip, I'll check them out.

US Bid gave a quote of between $7.50 and $12.00/part.

If this is too expensive, you'll need to try and find some from other part makers:

Philips
TDK
Holtek
Novatek
Winbond
Elan Microelectronics
etc.

TTFN

Thanks for the list of chip companies, I'll look into them.

I understand that buying chips in low quantities like 1 or 2 will make the chips more expensive, but doesn't $7.50 - $12.00 a chip sound too expensive? I can buy a phone with caller id for $10. Why should a single caller-id chip cost so much?

Can I buy a single chip from US Bid for only $7.50 - $12.00? I thought their minimum purchase was $500.00.

Thanks.

Lots of people (like me) still have one or two caller ID boxes sitting around from when caller ID was first introduced, and before phones came out with that feature built in.

Why not ask around and see if you can get a couple of those for free to hack up?

If you want to feed that to a pc then you can just simply download a Telephony activeX component and use any high level language like VB, Delphi, VC++ or any other language that supports ActiveX. This way you wouldn't need any external chip. With just a V90/92 modem you would implement this. If you want to go the chip way then I guess you will need a PLC (programmable Logic Controller) with an RS232 port to interface with the pc. check this out might just help.

Have a good one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back