Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for class recommendations for - NFPA70/NEC for pipeliners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipelines907

Civil/Environmental
Mar 8, 2021
US
Hi! The title basically says it all. I work in the pipeline industry and although I'm not an EE I am frequently working in classified atmosphere areas and I'd like to increase my general awareness of the NFAP70/NEC. Besides some CUEs, I just want to know enough to recognize potential issues and direct them towards someone qualified to evaluate or repair. For instance I've been in gas handling facilities in the past where I have seen poor electrical workmanship but struggled to explain it in the context of the code. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API RP 500

Recommended Practice for Classification of Locations for Electrical Installations at Petroleum Facilities Classified as Class I, Division 1 and Division 2

Chapter 14 RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DETERMINING DEGREE AND EXTENT OF CLASSIFIED LOCATIONS AT PETROLEUM PIPELINE TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES

Appendix D for an analytical approach.

Link

There's two things here.

There is the classification of electrical hazard zones which is API 500 with all it's nice neat zones in radius and height to generate you the hazardous area drawing.

Then there's the reality of life in terms of what that means in terms of electrical connections etc.

There is a different approach in the two electrical worlds IEC and NEMA / NEC.

AFAIK the IEC version uses seals and glands and in some cases junction boxes etc which are allowed to have an explosion inside so long as the flame doesn't get out. These are big and heavy lumps of metal.

The NEMA way is to prevent gases getting in and use all sorts of tubes and sealing of wires within the tube.

Each has its merits and downsides, but knowing which type goes where ibn terms of zones and gas types is the key to understanding the requirement. Ask a sparkie.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back