Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for comments, feedback on pressure relief valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseengineer

Automotive
Jul 13, 2009
US
I put together this little video about the valves we use in automotive applications. I want to get some feedback, comments and especially criticisms about the how the valve functions. My experiences are very much limited to my applications, which are automotive, but getting feedback from a wide cross section will help me better understand how others may see potential issues or problems. Does something stick out to you as not making sense, etc. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With regard to your video you haven't clearly shown why your relief valve is unique or different from other types.

You could show schematic differences.

You seem to repeat your the demonstration 3 times without any real differences between them.

I'd attempt to show why your particular unit would be better in an example situation than the typical type.

What application drove you to this new design over something already existing.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Keith, Thanks for the input, I felt repetitive, but it was tough to demonstrate the different functions of the valve without always referring to the Automotive context. I agree that I need to come up with a better demo.

I came up with the actuator geometry when I was designing a fuel pressure regulator. In a turbo-charged engine you can generate 2 different pressures, positive-only (boost) and vacuum-positive (boost/vacuum). They operate on different timelines and at different ratios. That is how I arrived at the stepped piston actuator with different surface areas that can ratio the bias against one another. I basically took that basic design and applied it to this valve and found that it was beneficial, but in a different application capacity.

Here's the automotive video that shows the different response by using different port combinations on the back of the actuator.
CompositePro- thanks for the heads up, I'll research about quick-exhaust valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back