Looking for Empirical Airfoil Stall Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerospain

Aerospace
Jul 29, 2010
GB
Greetings to all,

I am looking for information sources about airfoil empirical stall criteria, depending on Mach, Re and AoA. I had a book from Poutry some time ago and a student "missplaced" it.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? It's going to take me a few days to get a new book, in the meantime I would like to know if there is any source in the internet for my problem.

Kind Regards,

C.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Abbott and von Doenhoff's Theory of Wing Sections (the book to which moon161 refers) provides most of the information you seek for about 120 NACA wing sections, though only a few have their characteristics plotted against Mach number. If you know the maximum incompressible co-efficient of pressure, you can use Figure 148 to estimate the local Mach number for a given free stream Mach number.

The chapter on high life devices also is excellent.

Thank you moon161 and GlennE928, I've had a look and was able to get some data. As always, I'm left wishing I could have found more. I'll keep looking.

Regards

"Airfoil Data", "Airfoil Stall Data", or "Stall Criteria" - they actually refer to rather different things, falling within the broad scope of aerodynamics.

If you want to know something about airfoil stall characteristics in the deep stall range, try hunting down the Sandia Labs tests on airfoils they were using on wind turbines back in the 1970's, because their egg-beater blades would experience a full 360 degree rotation of their angle of attack.

If you're looking for more airfoils than are covered in Abbott and von Doenhoff's book, then look up the UIUC website with 100's more airfoils, wind tunnel tests, and most at rather low reynold's numbers, too.

Steven Fahey, CET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back