Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for equivalent to Rycut 40AX 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiph

Industrial
Nov 1, 2002
US
anyone have a supplier for chromoly steel bar which is similar to rycut40ax? T @ 103ksi, Y @93, E @ 19%, machinability @ 100.
thanks,
chip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What diameter, lengths and quantity etc? Send the enquiry to Concept Steels Limited on Fax number 0044 (0)1902 455365.

Happy Trails,

Jeannie

From your properties I guess that Rycut40ax is similar to 4140, though the machineability might be a problem, whats your chemistry?

as for suppliers that depends on where you are.
nick

thanks for both replies. chemistry is not a real issue in this instance. i've been using 3" 4340 bars. i'm just trying to get similar strength but, increase machinabilty.

41L40 (Leaded 4140)will provide greater machineability and still give you close to the properties you have stated as rolled.

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

Woldman’s Engineering Alloys, 6th Edn. gives RYCUT 40 as 0.40 wt% C, 0.9 Cr, 0.2 Mo, 0.9 Mn, 0.15-0.35 Pb, balance Fe. “Free maching steel; for gears, shafts, cams, studs, wrenches, arbor.” Nearest equivalent is AISI 41L40 (good call, metman!).

Don’t know the significance of the AX suffix. The producer, Ryerson Steel (now Ryerson Tull), no longer shows any RYCUT 40 in their stock list:

SAE 41L42 is another grade with similar strength and machinability, and is commonly available due to its use in gear & bearing applications. You can obtain grades like 41L40 and 41L42 from cold-drawn bar suppliers like St. Louis Cold Drawn or LaSalle Steel. Use the following links for more information:

St. Louis Cold Drawn, Inc.
1060 Pershall Road
St. Louis, MO 63137 USA
Jack Webster - Manager of Sales
800.421.9320 phone
314.867.4304 fax

LaSalle Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back