Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for ExChangeWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabioedl

Electrical
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hi all,

I read in this forum that I could use ExChangeWorks to convert solidworks files to a previous version. Is that right?
If so, we can I find it?

Thanks a lot,

Fabio

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have AutoCAD on your system and you install SW it will ask you if you want to install Xchangeworks.

If you go to SW website you can type in the search "Xchangeworks" and you will get several hits. To get a copy you will have to order it.

Also check out the FAQ section - It will answer a lot of your questions.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Thanks SBaugh.

It looks like the xchangeworks it a tool that loads Autodesk files. Is that right?
What I am realy looking for is a tool that converts SW2004 files into SW2003. Do you know anything that does that?

Thanks again,

Fabio

It looks like the xchangeworks it a tool that loads Autodesk files. Is that right?

If you go to the FAQ section of the SW website on Xchangeworks, like I pointed to you above. Then that answer would have pointed itself out to you with the first 3 questions.

What I am realy looking for is a tool that converts SW2004 files into SW2003. Do you know anything that does that?

That subject has been discussed here many times. It would worth your time to try and run a search on that.

But to answer your question No. SW will not be making anything for backward compatiability. Baren-Boym had a product I looked at the Conference and to say the least "it was bad" It can't do anything more than just saving out a Parasolid and bringing it back into SW.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Pleeeeease give up on the backward compatibility - ain't going to happen - can't possibly happen - too many things with no equivalents - too many things it wouldn't know how to fake in earlier versions (and you wouldn't like their choice of fake anyway most likely).

Sometimes people don't seem to really read our replies and digest them. They seem to constantly try to clutch for some some mythical straws, hoping beyond hope that a miracle will sudden appear.

People, this is a logical problem, not a marketing choice.

Put it this way, you can't turn a vulcan gun into a musket or an 2004 BMW into an ox cart. ('course some of us don't see much difference between a Beamer and an ox cart in the first place, but there ya go... heh, heh.)

Ooops, I was not being rude about anyone - just my personal opinion on overpriced hyped up consumer products....

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back