looking for flexible pipe connector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgefherrero

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2007
ES
Hello anybody,

I am looking for flexible connectors for pipes, allowing for some misalignment between the two parts of a pipe due to the mounting. Does anybody know of such flexible connectors for 1000 psi internal pressure, for diameters between 2" and 10"?
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am aware of a flexible pipe connector design that is generally an expansion joint. The design is good for virtually any size and pressure rating (up to 10,000 psi.
Please advise if still looking for something and can forward some information. This product is however not currently available on the market.

Have attached some pictures and brief description:

The main advantages as I see are:

1) Bolting stress is minimized. As a test I loose bolted (ie. finger tight) with only 4 bolts versus 8. Introduced approximately 1/8" misalignment across the faces and pressured to 1500 psi. It held bubble tight. Did not try to take the pressure any higher.

2) Current flange connections require near perfect parrallel offset to minimize stresses when the bolts are torqued. With this principle as in the test (ie. 1/8" misalignment) some misalignment can be tolerated.

3) Even with perfect parallel face alignment there is still inherent stressed introduced when the bolts are torqued as room is required for installing and compressing the gasket. When you have two sets of flanges such as in a valve installation there is no getting around this using raised face flanges.
This idea allows as much gap as can be designed for. The only limitation is the length of travel of the floating face designed into it.

4) The higher the pressure the higher the sealling forces.

5) This idea is simple and can be adapted to replace many different types of pipe and hose connections such as compression fittings and unions.

6) Compression gaskets need to be replaced after each use. This incorporates o-rings which see no wear and can be reused. Is not limited to orings as a sealant member. Can use lip seals, quad rings or the like.

7) Can be utilized as an expansion and contraction joint to allow for stress movements in pipe arrangements due to heat, ground heave, etc....

8) Significantly reduce time and effort in equipment installation and reinstallations. Example: A great deal of effort is required to minimize stress on pump nozzles when reinstalling. As there is minimal or no pipe stress transfer this effort can be reduced or eliminated.

9) Can be used as a gasket insert configuration in a typical face to face flange.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c619b4b7-e885-4acd-b060-0964e298a835&file=Threaded_collar_type_assembled
Am new to the forum. i see can do one attachement at a time. The attached is a brief description. Can also provide some pictures. Note that the sealling principal is similar to that utilized in a mechanical shaft seal or floating valve seat. In these applications the sealling environment is much harsh than this type of application.

This connection can come in various configurations including as a flexible gasket insert for a face to face flange configuration. This replacing the typical gasket.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ed6439ca-f4de-4032-802f-95b87d4d2f54&file=Flange_Connection.png
dmstron,

You say that it can be used as an expansion joint and can used as an expansion and contraction joint for stress movements.

I'm certainly not seeing that from the picture and sketch.

Can you elaborate on that?

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

The sketch primarily indicates the sealling method only. However in viewing the sketch, elonging the travel in the pocket (machined recess)and elonging as well the ring provides the allowed axial movement. Of course the piping conduit needs to be supported. Method of doing this depends on the application.
Being straight up this is a concept only at this stage. In the next day or two when get a moment I will paste some pics of various proto adaptions of the idea. If have any comments after viewing would appreciate.

I don't understand how you're going to get any money out of this idea, dmstron.

By revealing it in a global public forum, without even a copyright notice, you've effectively given it away to the world.

Uh, thanks, I guess.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I assume the piping conduit would weld to the flange hubs. Bolt up the flanges and your unit will not accept any kind of movement, expansion, contraction or lateral.

While it may tolerate some flange misalignment, it is not any kind of expansion joint, just a flange connection with an alternate sealing arrangement.

I'm looking forward to your future posts to show me what I'm not seeing in your design.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Assuming your talking about steel or S.S.; 3 or 4 Victaulic couplings and 3-inch nipples make a very fine 1000 PSI flex coupling.

Steve Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back