Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for GMR sensor manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKraken

Computer
Sep 16, 2010
US
I'm working in the research side of physics, so truth be told, I'm not as much of an engineer as most people here, but I trust you more than anyone else I've found.

I've been searching for a company that sells Giant Magnetoresistance magnetometers for a while now to no avail. This company ( sells GMR sensors, but they aren't guaranteed to very low temperatures, and they aren't necessarily as sensitive as I'd like.

We want the GMRs to have sensitivities in the micro-gauss range, if possible.

We also want to be able to cool these magnetometers to 4k. I understand GMR sensors tend to actually work better at low temperatures, so maybe that's not really a problem.

I've tried just contacting Hitachi, but they don't sell GMRs individually. If anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it.

We're trying to avoid fluxgate magnetometers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your help guys!

On first inspection, they don't quite seem to have what I'm looking for. It may just be prudent to do as sreid suggests and bust open a hard drive. It would have to be a relatively modern, fast rpm hard drive, wouldn't it? The technology isn't necessary for slower drives. Or is it cheap enough that they all use GMRs now?

There's no such thing as a slower drive, nowadays. But, yes, you probably need to get one that was built in the last 5 yrs or so.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Rhopoint is a supplier with a mature program.
If speed and size isn't an issue, I have used Flux Gates for quite meak magnetic fields. From Wikipedia: "Fluxgate magnetometers are capable of measuring the strength of the magnetic field to about 0.5 to 1.0 nT".

Several suppliers available. Or roll your own.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back