Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Handicapped Parallel Parking Standards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cieg22

Civil/Environmental
Nov 2, 2005
US
Hi. Can anyone direct me to federal standards regarding the design of on-street parking that is to be labeled as handicapped?
The ADAAG appears to be focused on parking lots. I'm trying to figure out how wide an on-street stall would need to be. Also, if it would need a curbramp/accessible path/loading zone at street level. I was also wondering if a depressed curb would be required for the full length of the stall.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

State law generally governs parking privileges for people with disabilities. However, federal regulations offer a uniform system of parking privileges, which includes model definitions and rules regarding license plates and placards, parking and parking space design, and interstate reciprocity. The federal government encourages states to adopt this uniform system. As a result, most states have incorporated at least some aspects of the uniform regulations into their handicapped parking laws.

You will have to check the state and local regulations where your project is located. The requirements for parking lots do not apply to parallel on-street parking spaces. The requirements vary wildly with on-treet parking.

Parallel parking cannot generally meet ADA standards, since each would have to be treated as a passenger loading zone with a 60 inch wide access aisle and a curb ramp.

As bimr noted, each state has specific requirements, but must generally follow the ADAAG. To my knowledge, there are no federal requirements beyond the ADA.

Google "Proposed Accessibility Guidelines for Pedestrian Facilities in the public Right-of-Way" - July 26, 2011.....Around pg 94, it discusses ADA for parallel parking. I had to use this standard for a NYSDOT highway work permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back