Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for help in design of form decks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staed79

Structural
Jan 28, 2008
US
I was looking for online manuals or design guides for designing form decks..
I looked in Vulcraft but didnot find design guide to help in me determing the deck...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is only a "form Deck", it is typically designed only to take the dead load of the wet concrete plus a nominal construction load. The slab would then be designed and reinforced to take all the dead and live loads. Typically,fprmdeck is only 3/4" to 1" in depth.

If this is what you are looking for, I found design tables in my Vulcraft catqalogues for this material. Perhaps you need to contact Vulcraft to update your manuals or pbtain additional catalogues.

There are other decks designed to be composite, but they are much deeper at 1.5" to 6".

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Thanks msquared48;
but in Vulcraft we have span loading chart. I had to design using light weight concrete, so how can i use the design chart

And silly question to ask , if the span b/w the beams is 24 inches, so my deck will be a 2 span .How is the span calculated?

Again, my Vulcraft tables show both Normal weight and light weight concrete span-load tables. If you do not have all the information, contact Vulcraft.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Thanks, I updated my Vulcraft tables, I found out that we can download the catalog from Vulcraft, thus saving some paper in the process..

if i had to design deck, is there any manual or book i can refer to...

"Designing with Vulcraft: Steel Joists, Joist Girders and Steel Deck" James M. Fisher, Michael A. West and Julius P. Van De Pas. Second Edition 2002, by Nucor Corporation. Chapter 3 Floors, Page 19-28.

Where can i find that, I could not locate that in AISC or at Vulcraft.com
AISC did have mention of it but no links to download or view it.

"Designing with Vulcraft: Steel Joists, Joist Girders and Steel Deck" James M. Fisher, Michael A. West and Julius P. Van De Pas. Second Edition 2002, by Nucor Corporation.

One thing to keep in mind is that SOME deck spans will require temporary shoring while the concrete is poured and until it reaches design strength. Contractor's hate this and it adds costs to the job. So, when selecting a metal form deck be sure to check that it will not have to be shored during construction.

Also, remember that formdeck is usually not used conpositely. It is mostly used for temporary forming for the concrete and is expendable. You will still need to provide reinforcing for the concrete portion.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The design information for reinforcement and as composite deck that are included in the SDI design manual are also included in United Steel Deck's catalog/design manual, available online for free.

However, some of the design procedures used in the design manual for composite decks (in particular, for the forklift case) are in my opinion unconservative, so you may have to apply engineering judgment when using the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back