Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for help to column anchoring design

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauricioC

Student
Feb 22, 2023
CO
Hi! I'm looking for some help to understand how to aboard a design problem. I have to calculate the anchorage of a steel column to concrete, so I have done a structural simulation in ansys with fixed supports at the base of the steel columns to find the reactions and moments. In this case I have 3 force reactions and 3 moment reactions due to the fixed support on each column. My problem is when I go to chapter 17 of the ACI 318 code, because the equations consider a resistance comparison with a tension load and a shear load in Newtons and I don't understand how I can get the value of Nua and Vua with my reactions. First I thought I had to calculate the stress and shear stress at the base of the columns with the reactions I found with the simulation, but then I realized that the equations ask for a comparison of loads (in Newtons) and not stresses (Pascals) so the units do not match. The specific question is: If I have the reactions of the base of the column (Fx, Fy, Fz, Mx, My, Mz) how can I calculate Nua and Vua?

This are the equations taken from ACI318 code:
Imagen1_vmtf9e.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I`d look into AISC Design guide 1. This is a design guide for base plate design, and also includes methods for determining the tension in anchor bolts, based on an applied moment.

Simpson Strongtie has an anchor design software that might work as a verification on your load in individual anchors. For your loads reactions, will you have all 6 simultaneously?

Do any of the stud manufacturers have a program that allows you to design for headed studs?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

dik said:
Do any of the stud manufacturers have a program that allows you to design for headed studs?
Simpson has a plethora of different anchors in their software. IIRC there are headed studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back