Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for help with winch motor winding data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

accordlx

Electrical
Dec 26, 2006
US
We recently recieved a 3 speed 2 winding marine winch motor for rewind in our shop. The motor had been recently rewound at a shop in Russia. The rewound motor never worked properly and actually failed shortly after installation according to the ship's engineer. I have tried to get winding data from the factory but they will not give it out citing proprietary policy.
I have included attachments that describe the motor as well as the winding data that we took out of the motor. I'm hoping someone has seen a similar motor or has information as to how they are able to get 17/86 KW & 2 pole/ 4 pole from the same winding. The 8 pole winding is a separate winding that is controlled by a separate contactor in the controll box.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you draw, the internal connections for 2 / 4 poles that you have found?
Do you have any information what are the no-load or full-load currents for this internal connection?
Zlatkodo

Hi, accordlx,
2 / 4 pole diagram for this particular case should look as shown in the attachment.
This diagram you need to compare with this one what you found , and then decide whether it will apply or not.
My calculation shows that the number of turns (3 turns / coil) is OK for this winding.
But for the 8 pole winding I get a bigger difference.
Therefore I need some more explanation.
Whether you're (at the first inspection of the defective motor), found which coil is faulty (8 pole or 2 / 4 pole)?
You must know that the calculations are made for continuous operation (S1). Here it is not the case, because the motor is designed for S2 and both windings can be more or less overloaded.
Zlatkodo

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6ecc99af-1888-418b-89aa-1f54aee57e70&file=winch.pdf
The 8 pole winding worked OK according to the customer. The 2/4 pole winding is what failed and actually never ran properly. He did not elaborate on exactly what was the problem.

The problem is that the motor was wound by another motor shop and the customer says it was wound with incorrect data. We can't get data from the factory. The 2/4 pole winding was completly burnt up when we got it in our shop so we were not able to run it here in order to try to diagnose the problem. What I am looking for help with is if anyone has seen a motor like this before and has winding data or if someone knows of a way you can engineer a single winding to put out 17 KW on the 2 pole winding yet still be able to get 86 KW out of the 4 pole winding. This is what doesn't make sense to me.

I would consider the possibility that it was originally wound for 900/1800 RPM and the 3600 RPM was the separate winding.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

1. - Is there more information on the motor-nameplate?
2. - Do you have the possibility to check what is the switch-combination in place where the motor is running? At what speed is achieved star-point?
Without new informations, I doubt that you will solve this problem. This winding can be any (maybe 3 separate windings, also).
Zlatkodo

Hi accordlx

I have two questions:-

1/ How does the customer know it was wound with incorrect data?

2/ Why isn't the shop who wound it taking responsibility?

desertfox

I have the same idea with waross, that the original configuration for this motor is 900/1800rpm one winding, and one separate winding is 3600rpm.
I deduced that according to zlatkodo's 2/4 pole diagram, the 4 pole winding could be overheated. Because this is only a single-star (1 path parallel) to carry the full 155A current. I don't know what size are #15 and #16 wires, but I guess the current density could be too high.

In my earlier post I gave a scheme for the 1Y / 2Y variable torque, because it is Acordlx suggested in his attachment ( 1Y/2Y variable torque connection - 6 leads ), regardless of the technical data from which you can not see most important thing (connection).
Given that the manufacturer's information is unknown, now is the question what type of winding is suitable for such a facility. Maybe it's not 1Y/2Y, maybe is 1D/2Y or three separate windings, or maybe.....? To much "maybe" and "if" !!!
Therefore I repeat my earlier question:
1. - Is there more information on the motor-nameplate?
2. - Do you have the possibility to check what is the switch-combination in place where the motor is running? At what speed is achieved star-point?
By the way:
Edison123 said:
Your argument makes much more sense. A 2 pole winding designed for 17 KW. And a 8/4 pole winding for 43/86 KW with Y/YY connection.
Note that in 1Y/2Y connection low-speed HP is only 1/4 high-speed HP, not 1/2.
Zlatkodo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back