Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for help with winch motor winding data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

accordlx

Electrical
Dec 26, 2006
US
We recently recieved a 3 speed 2 winding marine winch motor for rewind in our shop. The motor had been recently rewound at a shop in Russia. The rewound motor never worked properly and actually failed shortly after installation according to the ship's engineer. I have tried to get winding data from the factory but they will not give it out citing proprietary policy.
I have included attachments that describe the motor as well as the winding data that we took out of the motor. I'm hoping someone has seen a similar motor or has information as to how they are able to get 17/86 KW & 2 pole/ 4 pole from the same winding. The 8 pole winding is a separate winding that is controlled by a separate contactor in the controll box.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My calcs for the 8/4 pole Y/YY winding (top winding)

Coil Pitch - 1 to 9

Turns per coil - 3

Long jumpers (coil group 1 to coil group 7)

2 pole Delta winding (bottom winding)

Coil Pitch - 1 to 17 (2/3rd pitch)

Turns per coil - 4

Winding circuits per phase - 2 in parallel

Muthu

To answer some of your questions-
The ship engineer says the controls are set up so that the 8 pole is on one set of contactors and the 2 pole /4 pole on another other set.. I'll try to get a copy of the control schematic and post it.

Our initial assumption also- The 4 pole/8 pole must be one winding and the 2 pole the other.

The 8 pole winding is positioned closest to the rotor.

I don't know why the motor shop that did the original rewind is not being held responsible for rectifying the problem.

Zlatkodo is correct when he states that the HP ratio is 4-1 with a 2-1 speed ratio when using the VT connection.

Our strategy at this point is to wind the motor with the turns, wire size, and coil spans ( I can't see how they could have made an error with these) we found in the motor when we got it and bring out 12 leads on each of the windings. We can then play around with different configurations and see which works the best.

Looking at that nameplate you posted, it's not a variable torque connection for 8/4 pole. It's a constant torque at those speeds. Variable torque connection is what the previous rewinder mentioned it as, not the OEM.

Whether the connection is Y/YY or D/DD is immaterial.

P = kNT. I'm sure the previous rewinder goofed it.

Muthu

Hi, Acordlx,
Acordlx said:
I'll try to get a copy of the control schematic and post it.
It is a good decision.
Acordlx said:
Our strategy at this point is to wind the motor with the turns, wire size, and coil spans ( I can't see how they could have made an error with these) we found in the motor when we got it and bring out 12 leads on each of the windings. We can then play around with different configurations and see which works the best.
Do not forget to record a no-load currents for all connections. I expect a high values, especially with 8 pole winding. You gotta know that, sometimes in these cases, is a very important one winding relative position compared to other, but this is a specific topic that requires a lot of analysis.
I wish you success.
Zlatkodo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back