Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for oddball tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

Electrical
Jul 17, 2001
RU
I have a 1954 Pontiac and the front suspension has a 3/4-11 threaded rod for the upper control arm. I am looking for a 3/4" tap that has 11 threads per inch. Any ideas where this oddball size came from and who would have such a tap?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't truly answer the question of where this oddball size came from. I believe some companies come up with oddball taps so customers will have to come back to them for parts. However, there is a company called TAPCO in Rockford, Illinois that can make any tap you want. They are, of course, only one of many companies that manufacture taps to order. Dave Butcher
President
B Machine Products
Parkersburg, WV

What exactly is the rod used for? You sure it was original to the car and not a quick fix someone with a lathe built themselves?There are many companies in business that sell front end rebuild kits and one for a Chevy of same year may work.

Be sure of what you need b4 buying anything. I looked in a catalog from MSC and they list 11/16 -11 taps. Find a machinest and ask him to check you part. let me know.

Besure to check the treads with a thread gauge, as there is a 3/4"-10 taps out there also. I would think that it is really a 11/16"-11 or a 3/4"-10 not to say they don't but most auto companys in that time period just standard type threads for ease of avaiablity and cheap tooling. I just find it hard to think it's not a standard. Post back and let us all know what you've come up with. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back