Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Opinions on New Laser, Possibly Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chally72

Aerospace
Nov 22, 2010
US
I'm starting to hunt around for new laser options. I have a 90's Prima Platino 4KW that is slowly collecting more jumper wires and band-aids than a 40 year old Jaguar. We cut mainly stainless and inconel, up to 0.250". We occasionally cut thicker material- up to 0.625", but not often, and I'm willing to vend that work out if getting a machine with enough power to cut it means that we're discarding good midrange options.

Specifically, I'm interested in anyone's experience with fiber lasers, as far as maintenance pitfalls, costs to run, benefits, etc. I'm very familiar with CNC's and CMM's, but the only laser I have ever run is this Platino. I see estimates of over 75% running cost reduction over C02...what's real world like? How is life with fiber? A fiber laser is a 50-100k premium over comparable C02, it seems.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fiber is your best bet. Make sure your N2 assist gas source is up to the task. Higher N2 pressure and volume, machine cost, and a more dangerous wavelength of light are the only real negatives, everything else is a win.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

We have an Ermaksan 2kw fiber. We are using the new generation of precitec head witch is procutter.They have the bluetooth going with it. You can know exactly the temperature, the pressure, the wavelenght etc in real time inside the head. This is the kind of tool whitch is helping you keep the best efficiency of your laser. I like it very much. From what i read the cost for energy using is much lower on fiberlaser. You use more gas (n2) but going faster in thin materiel (around 11 ga and thinner0. That for 2kw. More powerr you have less gas using. I heard the difference for a 4kw in gas is about 32% less than the 2kw. From now on with the 2kw we cut .250 ss 201ln the thicker with a tiny dross at 39 inch per minute. I trtied a 4kw somewhere else and you double the speed without nothing to correct on the piece. I never operate a co2 and this is my first laser operating. I was on plasma before, the step was huge. With your experience on laser I say go for it. Any brand you choose go for the 4kw because of the thickness you need to cut. I can tell you more about the 4kw soon we will receive the new one in a month. We had excellent service so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back