Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for peer reviewer for a paper Re: math analysis of EM vibration in eccentric electric motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricpete

Electrical
May 4, 2001
US
This paper was written by a colleague I know and respect.

The paper analyses the fields in an electric motor with an eccentric rotor and uses that analysis to draw conclusions about the unbalanced magnetic pull and the circuit inductance. There are a lot of simplifying assumptions that make the problem very simple from an electromagnetic theory standpoint, but it’s still very detailed from a mathematical standpoint (lots and lots of things proved through integral equations).

This is the same paper review discussed in the thread What's at stake for peer reviewers here on the Tech Side of the R/T. The author apparently submitted the paper to the publisher for review. The publisher sent it to three people who all declined to review it, citing too many equations. As far as I can tell, the publisher asked the author to give them the names/contact info for three reviewers who WILL complete the peer review. So the author is sending the paper to people directly and asks them to review it and feed back directly to him. Once he finds three respectable people who say they agree to review the paper, he will submit their names and email addresses to the publisher. I know that’s an odd process, but that’s the way I understand it. I’m reasonably sure he’s not screening out people that disagree, he’s just looking for people to complete a review.

He sent the paper to me, I reviewed it and agree with the conclusions. I didn't verify all the equations, but I used numerical test cases to check the final equations and conclusions.

He is still desperately looking for two more reviewers because everyone else he has contacted has declined to review it, usually citing too much math or not enough time.

From my perspective, what is needed to review this paper would be primariy ability to review and validate integral equations, because the electromagnetic part is pretty simple given the assumptions. Although one could argue that the reviewer should be validating the assumptions, in which case some familiarity with motors would be helpful. Certainly the people who would be most interested in the paper are those who are interested in motors and the effect of eccentricity on vibration and inductance.

Does anyone have any interest in looking at the paper to consider getting involved in this review?
If yes, please comment here in the thread or email me electricpete at technologist dot com. … I can get your contact info from the R/T list and give it to the author or (if you prefer) send you the author’s contact info.

I hope this is not considered solicitation. I’m not benefiting from this myself… just trying to help someone out one time to publish something that seems useful/worthwhile to me. Since it’s such an unusual request, I wasn’t sure it would be acceptable in the public forums like electric motors… what do you guys think?

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back