Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for production company for Nikasil or NSC coating bores

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1111

Aerospace
Oct 14, 2008
US
We have a customer looking to produce a small bore Al cylinder from casting. The cylinder will require precision boring and plating. Can anyone recommend a company that specializes in doing these coatings as a production type setup? Probably will run around 100 at a time. maybe 50 at a minimum. Most guys charge per hole and price is out of sight.

I have heard this process is better taken out of the country due to EPA regs here. Is this true?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the problem is everyone uses their own "catch phrase" for it. Nikasil, Nicasil, NSC, electroplate, electrosil, etc. Jeeze, where do I start...

viper6383,

The Nikasil (Mahle) plating process requires a custom (and very expensive) electrode for plating each bore size. Nikasil also requires an etching process and diamond honing after plating. The plating electrodes can cost in excess of $20,000. The etching and honing equipment are not specialized.

Nikasil is composed of silicon carbide dispersed in a nickel matrix. It is very durable (due to the SiC wear surface), low friction and adheres very well to an aluminum substrate (due to the nickel plate matrix). For aluminum bores, it is still about the best wear surface there is. Also, damaged bores can be reworked with Nikasil, since the nickel plate matrix can be built up fairly thick with no adverse effects.

I believe the materials used in the process are similar to electroless nickel plating, and thus are fairly environmentally friendly. So I don't see why you can't find a contractor in the US.

Here's a link to Mahle USA:
Good luck.
Terry

Check out any current snowmobile magazine. In the back section there are usually a few companies advertising plating Stateside. If you are talking 50-100 cylinders, you should have a bit of leverage to keep the total cost per cylinder in-line.

Robin Sipe.

You might check out this company near San Diego Ca
I think they can do what you want.
Nikasil USA
1212 Mckinley Ave
National City, CA 91950

(619) 336-1231

B.E.

Depending on where you're located, there are two in the midwest. Millennium Technology and US Chrome, both in Wisconsin. I've used them both with good results.

Though most cast aluminum can be Nikasil plated fairly easily, most wrought aluminum can not be plated at all. 6061 can be plated but the etching process it has to go through is extremely aggressive and will remove at least .004" of material from all surfaces exposed. Any threaded holes and final machining must be done after plating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back