Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for reputable Neo vendors. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvest3

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2007
US
I am looking for recommendations for reputable custom Neo magnet vendors. We have heard horror stories from some of our motor vendors about low quality magnets from China that are ticking time bombs from improper plating. We have a new project that requires some Neo magnets but searching the web results in tons of rare earth vendors but their quality is unknown. Any one have any suggestions based on actual experience? Are there any manufacturers that make rare earth magnets in the U.S. or are they all made in China? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can highly recommend Magnetic Component Engineering (MCE).

In the past they used US sourced RE magnets but had qualified China sources for quantity production. They also have a polymer plating that works well in place of Nickel (but they offer Nickel).

Currently there is very little production of Neo magnets in the USA, if any. These days, licensed Chinese Neo suppliers produce high quality materials that standup very well over time. Japanese Neo suppliers also produce high quality product.

My own company, Dexter Magnetic Technologies, uses carefully selected sources of Neo in China and Japan, who can also coat and plate magnets in a variety of materials. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like more information.

Gareth P. Hatch, Ph.D.
Director of Technology
Dexter Magnetic Technologies

I can give two suggestions for places: one is already mentioned here, Dexter. I used to know a few of the guys working there and I know they are pretty careful and do good work. Use them if you have a bigger project that requires a lot of materials. The second one is Dura Magnetics ( They can get you magnets from Europe or Asia and they are very careful about what they bring in. Use them if you are doing smaller projects or prototyping.

Both companies will treat you well.

Grant

Here is another site that talks a good game. I haven't dealt with them but might be a place to start.

They mention something that I haven't heard is that Neo Magnets need a license to be legal in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back