Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for Specs on designing FDA equipment. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaspete

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2002
US
I am a new engineer in designing food handle / packaging Equipment. I am a small design firm that needs to find via internet or purchased books on the do's and don'ts of equipment designing and manufacturing. EX. Blind holes near or above foods have requirements that the hole be through and not blind. The reason I was told was because of contamintates and that the hole must be able to be cleaned. Welds must be free of pits. Other questions that have popped up are "I need to know what kinds of Stainless are acceptable." "What grades of Plastics are acceptable." Can any one help me out. I am located in Holland Mi.,
Thanks in advance my fellow professionals.
texaspete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

texaspete,

What kind of CAD software are you using? Email me and I will send you some examples of the standards. I engineered machines and conveyors for the food industry for about thirty years.

Sincerely yours,
Leslie H. Howell

lesliehowell@howellconsulting.com

lesliehowell,

I am also looking for information regarding specifications for the food industry. Would you be willing to forward the specs to me also. If so, I will send you an email.

Sincerely,

lahpe65

One of the best specifications for meeting the intent of the FDA 21-CFR is the ASME BPE Standard. However, it is geared primarily at Tanks, Pressure Vessels and Pressure pipe or tube. AWS also has D18.1, but it only applies for pipe and tube.

Don't let the BPE (Bio-Process Equipment)name scare you off. I sit on this committee and we just changed the scope to reflect more than just Bio-Pharm applications.

If you have more questions let me know.

William Roth, PE, CWI

I would need to better understand the field your refering to. I've designed food and beverage machinery for 18 years and the one thing I can tell you is that the regional inspectors vary on what they deem appropriate. The general concerns are no flat surfaces to hold contaminates(ie square support tubes) instead of round tubes, areas that are closed on multiple sides, disallowing "wash through" for cleaning. There are many instances I could refer to, but good common sense goes a long way. Try to think like the maintenance person trying to keep the equipment clean, and work from there. If there are any specific questions I will gladly respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back