Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for spiral crown gear manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

heliman2

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2003
US
Hello,

We are looking to find a company that can produce machined spiral crown gears from Delrin with a matching steel spiral pinion gear oriented at 90 degrees. Gears will be produced in low volumes 100-200 per year.

Andrew Schoenherr
Starwood Scale Models

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello diamondjim,

Country of origin is not important, as long as they have trade agreement with America.

Andrew

Thanks alot diamondjim for the source list of manufacturers. I will contact them directly.

BTW, do you know of any manufacturers in Taiwan or China?

Andrew

I would like to thank diamondjim and the others on this forum for their assistance.

In our application we have decided on spiral bevel gears. This gear type meets our requirements for higher strength with a greater number of teeth engaged at all times. Our transmission ratio is 5.0, a module of 2.5 with a shaft angle of 90 degrees, a 20 degree pressure angle and 35 degree spiral angle. The larger driven gear needs to rotate in the horizontal plane and turns anti-clockwise when viewed from above. We now need to choose the spiral direction.

My understanding is that changing the spiral direction will change the contact surface of the teeth from either concave or convex. This will in turn change the ratio of axial force to radial force.

So my question, which spiral direction should I choose and what might be the consequences of getting it backwards?

Usually the choice is to have the pinion thrust away and have a thrust bearing right behind the pinion head. The gears don't care about direction, but the bearing syatem must handle the thrust along with the radial load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back