Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to jump ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzy47

Structural
Feb 22, 2013
US
Hello,

I am a civil/structural engineer, and I feel like I'd like to get my head out of the code books and tables and more into the fresh innovative side of things. Do you have any advice for me, as far as getting into grad school as a civil undergrad, employment prospects, etc.? I'd love to hear from biomedical engineers as there aren't many in my area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure "innovative" is the best way to describe Biomedical. I think insiders WANT it to innovative, and there's no shortage of innovative ideas (and hype), but it's very difficult to get fresh ideas on the market. Biomedical is very risk adverse. I suggest consumer product development. Good luck!

Thank you for the response. Wow, that's interesting. So are all of the things you can read in science journals about 3D printing new ears and making new muscles pretty much hype? Or is it just that there are rare few jobs in that sort of thing? I was thinking about going to grad school for biomedical engineering, but I've been reading lately the industry is often more likely to take mechanical/electrical engineers than those with that degree. I'm not sure if I want a general ME degree or not.

Maybe computer science+biomedical engineering dual major? I'd love to hear insider input on the job market and what kind of work you do in an average week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back