Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Assembly Constraints (mates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aromech

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
US
I hope some one can help me with this one. We currently run MDT 6 and have a few clients with old mdt 4.0 files. When we open any of their assembly files there are not any assembly constraints, none, zip , nada (the parts have full degrees of freedom). We have re loaded mdt 4.0 to see if it is a conversion problem, but the mates are still all missing in mdt 4.0 also. Normally I would just ask one of their engineers, but they are all gone and no one seems to know anything about MDT let alone how the files were created, so I am left to figure this out on my own.

Please advise, some one , help!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it possible that there were no constraints used at all in the drawing and the parts just 'placed' where they need to be?
I know we've got some designers who don't consistantly use constraints and as a result, revising prints can be hairy.

The thought has crossed our minds but it seems that everything we have gotten from their old engineering department does not have a single constraint on it. This amounts to about two years of work by three guys and atleast 100 assemblies of 50 or more components. I know they were not the sharpest prong in the connector but I cant see going that long without constraints. So this is why we are looking for some other explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back