Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Low concentration mercury removal from scrubber water

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbuc7

Civil/Environmental
Dec 10, 2003
US
Mercury has been an on-going issue with a client of ours at a large wastewater treatment plant (120 MGD average). Multiple hearth incinerators are currently in place, with scrubber water being sent to lagoons for decanting. The decant and overflow is sent back up to the headworks of the plant, so all heavy metals (including mercury) end up running back through the wet process stream and into the plant effluent.

I've done some research to see what types of treatment technologies are available to remove mercury from the liquid phase. There is a company that uses granular carbon packed tower adsorption, however they typically use much higher mercury concentrations in the inlet stream. At the facility in question, we'd be looking to treat 2-3 MGD of scrubber water, containing approximately 20 mg/day (or 1.76 x 10^6 mg/L).

Are there any technologies floating around that any of you may know of that can remove mercury at such high flow rates and low concentrations?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Electrolytic oxidation can be built to handle the level of mercury. In condensate and Produced water - have taken the mercury - gets caught up with other precipitates and settles out of the water column, down to a few ppb. Wastewater is easier. We've reduced it on municipal Reclaim water in Florida trials.

2-3mgd is a simple "scale up" issue. You might want to contact Ed Gardyne at Environmental Processes Ltd in Scotland - he has field test results and can discuss the application with you.

Don't want him spammed - so if you contact me through my website .... - I'll pass his email and contact info to you.

Dave/Aquatic Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back