Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Low friction plastic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivo

Industrial
Apr 4, 2001
BR
I have problems with friction of a pice made from PA 66 with 23% GF in combination with a thermoset phenolic resin piece. I would like to know the best material to substitute the PA 66.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ivek,
In order to answer your question, we would have to know the functionality of the existing nylon piece in order to determine if we could use different types of plastics.

What attributes should this piece achieve?
Wear
Heat
Strength
Contamination
Impact Resistance etc..

My company have a line a urethane with different lubes that could be used in specfic application, but I would require more information on your applaction

I am sure all material with similar properties of glass fiber filled Nylon may be good for my aplication. Special requests are low friction and wear and working temperature of about 100 oC (210 F).

Ivo,

Its true that acetals are inherently lubricious compared to most materials, however, there are enough differences in properties such as HDT, TS & TE that they may not be right for your application.

You should consult with a company like LNP that has studied friction and wear. They have whole product lines designed for wear and friction resistance.

Tell them your design criteria and the environment that the part will be in and they can help select an appropriate grade.

In pursuant to your request: we are manufacturers of engineered and advanced plastics for seals and polymers bearings. We are experts at low friction bearing applications.

Since you are uesing PA66/ Glass you have a mechanical application, urethanes and Teflon, acetals will not surfice. I would recommend our Fluorolon 3960, a PPS formulated for beaings applications, good to 400 F, will have better chemical
resisitance that PA66, an excellant stable bearing material. We can injection mold
in conventional machines and it will have somewhat less shrinkage than PA66.

Bill Vardeman
<

Dear Ivo,

You should consider using PTFE; it has very low friction and it can be used with temperatures up to 150 degrees C.
It cab also be filled with various materials to enhance some properties.

Koen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back