Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low lube oil pressure EMD 12-645-E5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tugbillmaier

Marine/Ocean
Sep 27, 2015
US
thread321-290487

To CaptKhaos

I have the same problem now, I had an oil pressure of 60 psi befor I had my two 20# relief valves rebuilt, now my oil pressure is down to 38 psI. I called the people who rebuilt them and he told me that one valve had a bigger spring. I do not prelube every time only if the engine has been shut down for more than one hour. I have 14 filters in the filter pot. I am with the U.S.Army Corp Of Engineer's , the tug is one of the navys old YTB. This one was YTB-799. Do you have two 20# relief valves by the filter pot. One is for if the filter pot plugs up the oil will bypass the pot and the other one is for thelube oil cooler. I called EMD and they told me that the valves were an add on. And you should have a 40# relief valve in front of the engine. I would like to here more about your findings. this is tugbillmaier handle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They told me that one of the relief valves springs was a lager spring, but did not know what size, i am going to try and put 30 lb springs in the system and hopfuly that will bring the pressure back to 60 psi.

The two relief valves you mentioned are differential pressure bypass valves and should have no effect on engine lube pressure. If I remember correctly the E5 does not have the strainer box on the front of the engine. So you should have a scavenge pressure relief valve set to open at 40psi and scavenge oil pressure should be around 45 psi. The lube pump itself has a relief pressure of 110 psi and the system should typically operate around 85 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back