Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low RPM (15000) r134a turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcgonag

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2010
US
We are looking at building or retrofitting a turbine for use with r134a. I can't find a book or reference material to correctly design the turbine to operate at low rpm and under given operating parameters. Heat is not a problem in our case but packaging is. We need torque over power. Any direction on how to define the blade geometry and overall turbine shape would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not refer to 15,000 rpm as low speed. I see no reason for you to attempt to design your own turbine including blading. Commercially available turbines should fill any need. Contact major turbine manufacturer's and give them your requirements. Why would you want to design a turbine from scratch?

Johnny Pellin

We need a turbine in the order of 5 hp. Could you supply me a list of people that make turbines that size. We could use a turbocharger turbine but they rotate above 100,000 rpm.

We need to connect to a generator and do not want to do more than a 5:1 gear reduction. We could do more, but this is supposed to be a third world low maintence application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back