Low Shear Valve . 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elangovan8391

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2014
AE
Hi all,

I am working on a oil and Gas project, Customer has requested to offer a Low shear valve for Oil+Water service. But in the data sheet it is mentioned Globe valve. As per my Experience it should be to prevent Emulsification. but i have no idea about the trims used for this service. Can some one suggest me wat type of valve to choose? (Eccentric plug, Axial valve,Globe valve)?

Elango
Dubai
+971558373009

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with SEVERN GLOCON. If I am not wrong "LOW SHEAR"patent and design is by SG. They are pioneers in Low Shear Control Valve. There is one more company in Holland , but don't remember the name.

The purpose of these valves is to reduce turbulence and hence decrease emulsification (= reduce dispersion of oil in water, and dispersion of water in oil). There is a video clip on Typhonix site showing principle of operation:
As pressure drop across a valve increases, more tight emulsion is created between hydrocarbon and aqueous phase. These valves offer "more gentle" pressure drop, apparently through a cyclonic design consisting of multiple tangential orifices and a venturi-shaped discharge. See also and

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

In recent years alot of research has been done in reducing shear forces in turbulent flow, specifically in valves and pumps. Typhonix AS has indeed been a leader in this research. Together with Mokveld ( they have developed a system in which the dispersed flow will have larger droplets than in conventional valves in the valve outlet. Effectively allowing better separation in gravity based separators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back