Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low temp impact toughness of cast carbon steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRE111

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2004
US

ASME allows the use of A216, Gr. WCB in the Annealed condition down to -20 F without a min. Charpy energy value, however, the Pressure Equipment Directve (PED) requires 27 joules minimum at minimum operating temp.

I have some data for the normalized, quenched and tempered, and annealed conditions at room temp conditions, and data showing the effect of carbon content at room temp, but nothing specific to annealed condition at -20F

Does any one have Charpy impact energy data for ASTM A216, Gr. WCB, Annealed material with .25 max carbon content at -20 F (-30 C)? Or Nil Ductility transition temperature for the same?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nil ductility temperature (NDT) is the minimum temperature where the material exhibits brittle fracture behavior. The development of the Charpy impact testing exemption requirements in ASME B&PV code is predicated on a minimum Charpy impact value of 15 Ft-lbs with adjustments based on yield strength and thickness in service for materials. The yield strength and thickness are very important because of potential plane strain conditions that could result in brittle fracture behavior even at 15 ft-lbs CVN.

Some of the Charpy V-notch impact data @ 15 ft-lbs (20 J) threshold that I have seen for SA 216 Grade WCB varies from -25 deg F down to -40 deg F.

Metengr,
Thanks for the info. I knew it was a long shot to find data this specific but since NDT and Charpy vary with heat treat condition and carbon content it's difficult establish a relationship with out some more specific data.
Thanks, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back