Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Volatge Drive Selection Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

DmanD

Electrical
Nov 27, 2000
DE
Hi Engineers,
I am looking for guidance on selection of Low Voltage Drives on the basis of:

1.Dimensioning- torque,overloadability
2.Performance- V/f control, sensorless vector control,closed loopp vector control,static & dynamic accuracy of speed & torque, respose time

Searching threads didn't help, so I am writing this quetion.
If you can point me to such an existing thread, it would be great!
Thanks in advance,
D'man

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Selection normally follows this sequence: First, determine load continuous torque and peak torque. Second, determine what that torque represents in terms of continuous motor amps and peak amps. Third, determine the speed stability required by the load under varying load conditions. Fourth, select a drive with continuous and peak ampacity to cover the above requirements and select a drive control technology that meets your speed stability requirements.

There are hundreds of other lesser issues but, for me, that's the "core" process for selecting drives.

It seems you looking for AC induction motor drives that supplied from AC directly. In this case what means "Low voltage"?

Low voltage (LV) usually means anything between 100 and 999 V AC.

Extra low voltage (ELV) usually is below 50 or sometimes 42 V AC.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Many of us work for manufacturers and/or distributors of products, so we are restrained by etiquette from making recommendations for our own products. But have you checked the FAQs for this forum yet? The link is at the bottom of the front page of this forum near the bottom below the "Start a New Thread box, right where it says "Before you start."

To save time though, here are the 2 FAQs we collaboratively wrote as a jumping-off point to determine the type of drive you may need.

faq237-1062
faq237-1063

Specific technical performance values are going to vary from mfr. to mfr., even from year to year within the same mfr., so any published list would be quickly obsolete. My general advice is, determine your performance requirements, maybe even the technology you think you need, then decide who in your local area does the best job of servicing drive customers. Not necessarily repair services, but application support and training, inventory etc. That will ultimately serve you better than any brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back