LPG pipes minimum clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

odelgado

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2011
US
Greetings everyone,

I'm doing a risk assessment on a new LPG pipe. I've been looking at NFPA 58, the International Fuel Gas Code, and FM Global Datasheets and cannot find a required minimum clearance for above ground piping from equipment
that does not have an open flame. The new pipe is going to run near a mechanical yard that has four industrial dust collectors and EHS is worried that the collector's vent might be a liability. Has anyone had any
experience with this before? Or at least point me in the right direction as to where to look other than the aforementioned sources?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

odelgado:

Beware of dust collectors with electrostatic precipitators which can produce sparks. Some dust collectors have explosion relief panels, so be careful that a panel that is ejected can't hit the gas piping. Otherwise, you might check API regulations - refineries and chemical plants have this sort of issue all the time.

Regards,

DB

If codes and guides don't give a minimum distance, there isn't one. If you are concerned about electrostatic discharges from the duct collectors or damage from relief panels, then perhaps you should reconsider the routing of the LPG pipe. If the pipe is outside, why not bury it? It only has to be above grade inside the building, and that is to prevent/minimize damage when the building settles, access is also a factor in this requirement.

Thanks dbill,

The line is actually underground right now but the plant is relocating all underground utilities and piping them thru aerial routes since there have been leak issues before (it's a really old plant) and they are expanding and have encountered many utilities lines when digging that aren't shown in plants. I'm relocating the line above the roof and it's covered by a concrete parapet but EHS still wanted an assessment of all related codes. I've read as many as I could find but wanted to consult the experts ;).

Thanks for your input.

If electrical is the issue, NFPA 70 and 58 should cover it pretty well. Static electricity can be reduced by grounding to same electrical potential. propane lines can be protected by "sleeving" with outer piping if buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back