Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LRFD Manual of Steel Construction AISC #

Status
Not open for further replies.

static12

Structural
Feb 6, 2006
US
Steel Construction Manual, 13th Edition is AISC 325-05
Manual of Steel Construction - Allowable Stress Design (ASD), 9th Edition is AISC 316-89
What number has Manual of Steel Construction - Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD), 3rd Edition?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

The current 13th Edition of the Steel Manual replaces the 9th Edition of the ASD AND the 3rd Edition of the LRFD manual. So the 3rd Edition of LRFD Manual was the previous one from a couple of years ago.

The "number" of LRFD 3rd Edition was "3rd Edition". That's what it should say on the book itself. Not to be confused with the 3rd Edition of the ASD version, which was way back when. I've got the 5th Edition of that (it wasn't called ASD back then) and it's from 1948.

If you need a date (year) for the 3rd Edition LRFD, or for the LRFD specification contained therein, perhaps someone with a copy of one could quickly look it up?

static12 - the LRFD specification does not have a specific number such as AISC 316 etc. The 3rd edition code is simply referred to as AISC LRFD (1999). Note that this refers to not the entire manual but rather just the specification itself. This callout is how IBC and other model codes reference the specification.

ASD Manuals over the years:

1st Edition through the 9th Edition.

The 9th Edition was the last ASD manual

LRFD Manuals came out after the ASD 9th Edition and
were called LRFD 1st through LRFD 3rd Editions.

So AISC decided to make a combined edition and
added the 9 previous ASD editions to the 3 previous LRFD editions and got 9+3 = 12. So the next edition was named the 13th...and its combined.

The next combined LRFD-ASD edition will (I suppose) be called the 14th.

Slight correction to the last post:

The 1st edition LRFD came out BEFORE the 9th edition ASD (1986 vs. 1989).

I have all of them, sitting here on my shelf, since the first edition in 1927...

I would be curious, though, nutte, as to where you found that number. I've searched the AISC website and the hard copy of the 1999 Spec from the LRFD 3rd Edition and see nothing about 325-01.

Funny that its not printed in the front of the Manual or in the specifications. I've never heard of this "product code" number being used in any way shape or form other than on AISC's website.

The question is poorly worded- I still don't know if that's what he means or not.

You can download the latest code for free and it's got an ANSI/AISC number on the front cover. But the ASD specification in my 9th Edition doesn't show any number anywhere on it.

JAE, I did a Google search for the 3rd LRFD Manual and found the number. I've checked with AISC, and they don't publish a comprehensive list of the numbers anywhere. They started numbering all of their books/manuals/codes, including the old ones, around 2002 to be like the other trades (ACI 318, ASCE 7, etc). That's why your green book doesn't have a number, nor your 3rd LRFD manual. And to further confuse things, the specificaton has a number, while the manual has a different number. The new documents do have these numbers printed on them for easy reference, but for the old ones, you're left searching around or e-mailing AISC. I had a specification the other day that referenced the green book and the green/blue Volume II by these 300-something numbers.

And I don't get the poorly-worded question comment. It's painfully obvious what the original poster was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back