Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LSR Molding & Assisted Gas Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2000
IE
I am working for a medical device company who is searching for a method / information to inject mould LSR. The part shape is similar to a ‘toy balloon’ in that the material is flexible. The wall thickness is thin, less than 0.5 to 1mm and the overall product dimensions is about the size of a clenched fist. The final product which we wish to achieve is similar to a protective cover for a ‘light bulb’. <br>
<br>
My research to date suggests that ‘dipping’ is the main method used for manufacturing balloons, condoms and so on. Dip molding is not acceptable and our goal is to develop a solution using Liquid Injection Molding or a process closely similar. We’re also considering the possibility of using an ‘Assisted Gas Injection’ process.<br>
<br>
Any advice or pointers you can direct me towards would be very much appreciated.<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, <br><br>Just a quick response, I was wondering about your success in your request to possibly gas-assist mold a ballon shape.<br><br>I watched some people here in China try and mold some toy figurine from PE and of cours this thing had a wall thickness of 2 inches, so they tried gas-assist with my comment of absolute failure because they were trying to use the gas-assist as like a blow molding operation, it does not work like that.<br>I hope you had success, if you did please advise what and how so that we can all learn and benefiot as individual professionals, in this wonderful but ever DECREASING knowledge sharing world.<br>If the results were not successful and the idea is still alive then let's review it.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Moldmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back