Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lubricant oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleanBob

Industrial
Jun 10, 1999
CA
Where can I find the specifications for blends that are used in military applications? I need to specify construction materials for a facility. It seems that some additives are corrosive when concentrated. I have been told that "Polyl Esters" attack epoxy coatings (paint), I have even heard that stainless steel is attacked by certain of these products. I am not a chemist! please keep any answers at a plant engineer level.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most military standards are not much different then standards for civil applacations - the equipment is usually not much different. Military standards do however differ in two ways: part of the standard are usually some regulations regarding the amount of time a product can be kept in stock without deteriorating and the military tend to keep as few standards as possible with a rather wide field of application. That means that most &quot;pure&quot; military standard products are somewhat limited in performance when compared with commercially available civilian products.<br>
<br>
I can be more precise if you know what specification is called for in this particular instance.<br>
<br>
Anyway...polyol esters are quite different from mineral oils and can attack coatings and paint.

Thanks,<br>
We are looking mostly at turbine oils,<br>
blending polyol esters with polymers.<br>
Three year shelf life, high grade product.<br>
? Is viton compatible with POEs?

Thanks,<br>
we are looking at turbine oils.<br>
Blends of POE and polymers.<br>
Three year shelf life.<br>
? Is viton compatible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.