Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lumps of clay in floor slab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatch

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
MS
We poured a 8" thk floor slab about a month ago, on the day of the pour the surrounding ground was wet. We poured it using wheel barrows and apparently some clay particles have been left behind in the slab (from the wheels and off the shoes of the labourers).
We noticed pockets of cracking and after scabbling away at the slab we found clay in the slab. The pockets are about 3" x3" and 3.5" deep.

I am suggesting jack hammering the slab to an area of 8" X 8" and removing the clay particles, then filling in with repair mortar. My question is, would concrete work?. My concern is the cracking around at the interface of the repaired area and existing slab.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use an epoxy/laytex bonding agent on the inplace concrete and a compatable laytex agent in the concrete filler. There are several around. Do a "Concrete Repairs" search to see what you may have locally.

A number of the repair producers have field reps that will come out and evaluate your problem and suggest which of their products will best fit it. Try Sika or Master Builders for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back