Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

LVL or 2 layers of plywood for stair treads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipul Acharya

Structural
Aug 7, 2020
CA
I want to build a stair case and clad the treads, so the appearance of the tread is not important. I am wondering whether to use 2 layers of 1" plywood or 1.75" LVL laid flat. I can't find the modulus of elaasticity for the LVL about the weak axis. The stair treads are 48" wide x 12".

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd go for the LVL. The two layers of plywood wouldn't act compositely, meaning you have a much lower moment of inertia, which would result in vibrations/deflection. You could stick them together with nails to have them work together compositely, but then you'd have nails sticking out and it's extra labor.

I agree with milkshakelake about the LVL being stiffer. However, I don't think nailing the plywood layers together will provide substantial composite action, particularly with regard to stiffness. To get the stiffness of a composite section of the 2 layers of plywood, you'd need to glue the layers together with a rigid adhesive, such as PVA wood glue.

Yes - I was thinking about screwing and glueing the 2 layers of plywood. 1.5" - 1.75" screws, both ways would make it stiff. I'm just curious if anyone has the E for LVL (lowest grade) about the weak axis. Is it different from the published value about the strong axis.?

Have your Reviewed Weyerhauser document TJ-9000?

There is guidance on determining deflections, Section and material properties, and there is some info about 'plank' orientation.

No I was not aware - I just looked it up. Thank you. I am surprised that there is no difference in youngs modulus in the plank direction...interesting. I would have thought that they manufacture and orient the strands so that strong axis is stiffer than weak axis.

So comparing 2" plywood (assuming it is properly glued and screwed) to LVL (1.75")
Plywood - E = 8GPa
LVL 2.0E = E = 13.8 GPa

Tread is 12" wide

EI plywood - 8 x 305 x 50 x 50 x 50 / 12 = 25.4 .......

EI LVL - 13.8 x 305 x 44.5 x 44.5 x 44.5 / 12 = 30.1.......

LVL is stiffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back