Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M.E. looking for a new job 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDEngineer

Mechanical
May 25, 2004
US
Wow, this is such a great forum!

I have been working for a small M&E consulting firm as a Mechanical Design Engineer for almost a year (I graduated college last May). I enjoy my job for the most part, but I have a very low salary and don't like the city that I live in. For these reasons, I am on the job hunt again and seeking advice from those of you with years of experience behind you.

My main dillema is whether I should find another consulting firm to work for, or try something different. Working at a large HVAC company as a product development engineer or something along those lines seems interesting to me, but I don't know an awful lot about the responsibilities of a position like this. Does anyone that does this type of work wish to offer advice?

Another thing I'm concerned about is the ability to obtain my P.E. Can I do this if I work for a manufacturer? It seems to me that almost all P.E.'s are consultants. I am looking for employment in a large metropolitan area, so I have a lot of options...I'm just not sure which ones to go for! I don't know a lot of other Mechanical Engineers in the workforce, so I'm asking you guys for some guidance. Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think of manufacturing as a manufacturing engineer or industrial. The person who is trying to streamline the process to be more efficient and improve quality (sure they may have a different title than mfg eng or ind eng but still this is their background).

I used to call a product design engineer 'design engineer' but after working with consultants they like to call their drafters 'designers'. Since then, I try to use the term 'product design engineer'. Makes it clearer to me but probably not for others. Just do not want to be confused with a drafter.

I cant think of any web pages with that info. Probably a good eng college would have this posted on their site.

I'm faced with a similar situation as NDEngineer, a recent grad (June '04) in California looking to leave a public agency for something more fast-paced in the private sector. However I'm worried that employers might be turned off by an applicant with less than a year of full-time employment, seeing the quick turnaround as immature. Would it be in my interest to pass the 1 year mark prior to any job search efforts?

Additionally are there engineering recruiting/headhunting services for those with this amount of experience? Some firms say they do, but I've been told that they solely place mid to senior level candidates.

If you are offered your dream job then jump ship. I think one year is a bit on the short side - eighteen months to two years is more typical.

Admittedly you should be learning a lot at the moment - if you aren't then you either need to move, or reconsider what you are doing while you are at work. It may be that you are expecting learning opportunities to be handed to you, things don't work that way in the real world.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I am with Greg. If your not gaining any knowledge, then its best to move on now. Just let your prospective employers know at the interview that your not being challenged. Dont bash your previous company though, this sends a bad message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back