Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M. Eng program in UMD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnam82

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2008
US
This is University of Maryland's Master's in Engineering course list.

Do you think it's a good program to pursue for someone who wants to do MEP/HVAC consulting?

I'm a little skeptical about this program because it does not require GRE. Just 3 letters of recommendation and a transcript. Do other M Eng. programs require GRE?

If this is a legit program then I could end up saving a lot on housing/commuting costs.

Please offer your opinions

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good question. I'd like to know this as well. I just graduated with a B.S. in ME and am working in the HVAC consulting industry. The interesting part is none of the 9 mechanical team members here have a masters. Not meaning to hijack the thread but I think it ties in with the O.P.s question...how often do you see people with a masters in the MEP/HVAC consulting industry and how valued is it?

I think an MBA or JD is actually more important, especially when you get into the management side of the business. In my opinion, masters in engineering goes better with reasearch type positions.

Those look like some great courses. I looked at quite a few master programs in the West and Midwest and I've never seen one geared at the HVAC industry like that. Environmental Risk Analysis, Renewable Energy Applications, Computer Aided Engineering Analysis, Energy Systems Management.....these actually look like relevant topics.

I'm gonna have to semi-disagree with the last comment. Anyone can get a MBA nowadays from an online school. I don't think it means as much anymore. And getting a JD would definitely be great, but going back to law school for 3 years is big commitment. A good one though.

I think this program definitely looks interesting. I wouldn't look at it as something that will help you move up faster. A master’s degree doesn't mean as much in this industry as it does in others. However, I do think a program like this would make you a better engineer.

For whatever it's worth, I did my M.Eng (but not for HVAC) and didn't have to write the GRE (I'm in Toronto, Canada). As others have stated, additional schooling doesn't always translate into a better career, but I know for certain I'm a better engineer for having taken the courses.

-
Syl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back