Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M Engg in petroleum for career move

Status
Not open for further replies.

sindhu1528

Petroleum
Dec 13, 2014
CA
Hi guys

I have seen this forum. I have gone through the different threads. I feel like that people give good advice based on practical and life experience.

i am interested to do M.engg in Petroleum from Calagry university as i live in alberta. The basic purpose is to do a career move.

I would like to ask that it is going to help or not?

I am having degree of BSC in Petroleum Engineering. Worked as a drilling engineer on rig for three years in my country. Moved to Field service engineer with Cameron for installing wellheads on drilling and service rigs. Worked in middlea east as a field service engineer in a different company. Worked on offhosre rigs for installing wellheads and mudline system. I recently moved to Canada and got a job in wellhead company as a field service technician.

Can anybody advise that it will be a beneficial to do Mengg in Petroleum full time. What would be the job perspective after doing Mengg in Petroleum in Canada

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

??? I'm unclear what a BSc Petroleum Engineering entails, but I assume that it's not doing field service, or is it? Seems to me that all your jobs didn't really involve engineering, per se, and a career move should at least entail applying for jobs that are more in line with your degree.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Hello sindhu1528

You are in a similar position as I was in 2007.

I had a BE in Chemical engineering with a solid 4 years of work experience int he chemical industry (process(chemical plant) and production related(manufacturing) in Europe and Asia. I wanted to get into the oil and gas industry and my only choice was to get back into school for a MS in Petroleum Engineering to make a move into the upstream side from the down stream side.

So, I did. I came to the US finished a masters degree in Petroleum Engineering, worked in the service industry (frac'ing, production etc)- worked aroud Cameron folks a lot in North Dakota close to Canada there, and 2 months ago got into a really good oil company / E&P- an oil major- which ahs operations in Canada too.

So, what is it that you have that I did not in 2007 ? You have solid experience in the oil and gas industry. So, you need not really go get a masters to make it intot he industry. All you have to do is diligently look for a job with operators/ oil companies, if that is what you are interested in, or if you want to get into a big service company. My suggestion to you would be to look for a job witht he experience you have and it is just a matter of time. There are jobs out there, you just have to look, brush a few things from your school books prep yourself fpr the interview and you are good to make a career move.

NOW, here is the secret sauce:) A lot of companies like Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc etc have a system and you gotta fall or be in the system to make it into their company. Its just how they work. Sending a resume online may not work. Now thats what I call the secret sauce. In such cases, yes, go ahead and enroll into a masters degree in Canada., Tehy are only 1 year anyway unlike the USA right ? But, either way, even if it is a 2 year program, even better. You can apply for an intership durign the summer after your first year, work with an oil major (you will get an internship with yoru experience. YOU WILL, YOU WILL, YOU WILL.. lol). you just gotta keep lookign and keep applying. And after that, once you are finishing up your masters there will be several companies coming to recruit in your school (if it is a good school, and UNi of Calgary I'm sure is a good school with a lot fo companies goign there to recruit), and youc an easily make it into any of these companies.

I say things as a matter of fact, but the truth is if youa re a determined person, and if you have it in you and that is what you want to do, companies are looking for "that" and you will fit the bill.

In conclusion, a masters degree depends on if you dont mind gettign back into school, what your plans are for the next 2 years. You can never go wrong with an advanced degree as it helps during promotions, starting salaries(a lot of times) and gives you a new shot at the oil majors which I have noticed is a little tricky as most companies call early career as 2-3 years after your previous degree. But again, look for references and if peopel can refer you for a career move with your current situation, or get back into student life for a while.

Good luck ! Hope this helped
Cheers !

Thanks for your advice. It really helped me to take the decisiob

I shall try to get admission in M Engg program

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back