Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M2-12 Universal Marine Diesel Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenebaby

Marine/Ocean
Jun 4, 2010
CA
Any suggestion to my problem would be appreciated.
Engine is 20 years old used in my sailboat without any problems until last summer.
1. On the engine attached to the side of the air intake, there is a small rubber tubing cliped on. It sppears to act as a little breather tube or exhaust, not to be confused with the external exhause at stern of boat.
Over the years it has left a little black streak on the engine room door.
This year the breather tube seems to puff out more smoke than it ever did before especially as the engine heats up.
2. changing oil and filter did not help the problem.
3. I use an ounce of fuel conditioner for diesel engines every year and wonder if this has built up over time as not much fuel gets used, being a sailboat engine is needed only to come and go from harbour.
4. can this conditioner (used sparingly) build up over time and degrade the fuel?
5. should I pump out the half tank of fuel and try new diesel fuel?

6. shud i just burn off the fuel with a couple of long trips around the lake? And fill up with new.

7. this engine by universal has 2 cylinders, just for info.
8. would bad injectors of which i know nothing about cause this extra smoke to come out of the little rubber breathing pipe cliped on to the engine?
9. The water cooling system is working fine.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Ken Keenan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well i found the problem an hour ago..What a great feeling after a couple of weeks trying to find the answer.

Took the boat out for a motor today, and sure enough could see the smoke entering the cabin from the engine room. Turned around and headed back to the yacht club..look down at the water temp meter, it still not working at zero...tapped it on the glass and up went the needle to almost 210 degrees F.... wow..I checked the stern and water was circulating so why was the engine over heating..

Shut it down back at the harbour. Remembered that it does have a little heat exchanger, uses antifreeze... hmmmm..they say normally you never need to check it as it is a sealed system... etc... engine was hot...stuck finger in and couldnt find any coolant...

Filled it up thru the over spill hose...started the engin and the temp guage brought the motor heat almost immediately to about 80F ... where it used to be... whew..

that is what was causing the engine to smoke out the breather pipe...wow..
note: all fluids should be checked every spring..
haha some days are stones and some days are diamonds.. john denver.. I had my diamond today..
hope this info might help someone else.
Ken

Now you need to verify that someone did intentionally drain the coolant in the fall, and it didn't leak out.

And replace the impeller in the sea water pump.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back