Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine Design Books by Shigley

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckMiner

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2001
CA
I was wondering if anyone can comment on the Standard Handbook of Machine Design by Shigley & Mischke?

I have the Fifth Edition of the same authors' Mechanical Engineering Design.

Websites list the Handbook as being 1700 pages. My text (noted above) is my coursebook from university and is +/- 800 pages.

Can anyone comment on whether there is much more information in the Handbook? Just wondering if I should shell out $200 (Cdn) for another book.

Thanks in advance.

CanuckMiner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I have the same book on my shelf too!!!its a brilliant book and as you say there are only about 800 pages.
what the website indicated to be 1700 pages might be design data hand book. It would be the one with design-tables and design-data for various applications.

cheers
kafeel

I have the Design handbook and it is a wonderful resource. It doesn't have page numbers as it is broken up into sections, but it does appear to be about 1700 pages. There are 47 sections covering a wide variety of topics.

At an early point of a career a university text could be complimented by a Machinery's Handbook (Industrial Press Inc.) Add another design book later.

I found that Standard Handbook of Machine Design by Shigley & Mischke lacked information on topics that I use often such as fasteners. The books I have relied heavily on are the Machinery's Handbook (~$75) and Lindeburgs's Mechanical Engineering Reference Handbook for the PE Exam (~$45).

I would buy one of the two latter books first.

Tony

I agree that the Design Handbook is a great resource. If it doesn't cover fasteners well enough, I suggest the Standard Handbook of Fastening and Joining by Parmley (McGraw Hill)

I also rely heavily on Machinery's Handbook. Lindeburg's PE Reference book is also handy. Shigley's Handbook, while a valuable reference on occasion, mostly sits on my shelf unused.

I'd definitely get Machinery's Handbook first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back